News and Events For This Week
Dear West Woodland Families,
Martin Luther King Assembly
If your child has not yet been tested, he or she will be scheduled during the coming weeks and we will contact you at that point.
Additionally, testing results and eligibility letters will be sent by early March. Thank you for your patience during this long testing process.
Please visit our district website for the answers to most Advanced Learning questions.
From the District: General Kindergarten Enrollment Nights Continue
- Tuesday, January 27, 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Northgate Elementary, 11725 1st Ave N.E.
- Thursday, February 5, 5:30 to 7 p.m. at Hawthorne Elementary, 4100 39th Ave S.
West Woodland Kindergarten Tours
- Tuesday, February 24, 7-9 pm
- Thursday, February 26, 9-11 am
- You get a school packet with valuable information.
- You are added to our mailing list for upcoming events.
- We know the grade level of your incoming children, so that we can have the appropriate grade-level teachers on hand for your tour.
Thank you for reading! Have a great week!
Are you interested in leading a tour but feel like you don’t know all the ins and outs of West Woodland? Don’t worry! We provide scripts with all the talking points you might need, and our guides will lead in pairs, so we can team you up with a more experienced tour guide if you like.
Please let us know! Thanks for your help!
All parents please respect the staff and do not park or drop off in the staff parking lot. If you are walking to school, please use the front door, the gate on the lower playground and come up the stairs by the library (not through the parking lot) or the gates down by Kids Inc and the portable.
Choir parents should use the drop off zone in the front of the school to drop off students who can make their way to the choir room. If you need to accompany your child to the choir room, please park on the street.
Marilyn Loveness, Principal
Megan Bang, Assistant Professor at University of Washington College of Education, will be joined by Dan Gallagher, Seattle School District’s Science Program Manager, to explain Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and discuss how to use school gardens as a tool to engage students in Science and potentially other subject areas.
- There will be time for questions, share ideas, become inspired.
- Small group sessions on teaching methods, gardening skills, and funding opportunities.
- Exhibits from related organizations, including Danny Woo Community Garden, Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Farmraiser, IslandWood, PCC Natural Markets, Pure Food Kids, and Washington Green Schools will share available resources.
Questions? Contact Pipo Bui –email@example.com or Anna Portinga - firstname.lastname@example.org.
STAGE/MC/LEGO/ART GALLERY PARTICIPANTS:
If you believe your child turned in a permission slip to participate in Talent Night but have not received a message about stage rehearsals/MC rehearsals/Lego Expo Submissions & Art Gallery Submission Deadlines by this weekend, please let us know ASAP at email@example.com.
STAGE SHOW PARTICIPANTS ONLY
Rehearsals for the stage show are being scheduled for Saturdays on January 24 & 31 with slots between 9:00 am-Noon, and 1:00-4:00 pm.
- Acts must sign up for two different rehearsal dates. If you were contacted about rehearsals and have not yet signed up your child’s act, please do so here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f094eadaf29a3f58-talent.
- If you’re having trouble finding two rehearsal times that fit your schedule, please let us know ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more (like how to raise money from your Safeway or Fred Meyer trips) Check out our Shop for West Woodland page.
Whitman will be hosting an Open House for incoming students and parents on Thursday, February 19 at 7:00pm. No appointment or RSVP necessary. This will be the only event we will be holding so please mark it on your calendar.
We do not offer any tours or events during the school day for prospective students. However, students and parents are welcome to stop by the school any day after school (after 2:20pm) for a self-guided tour of the building. Staff will be happy to provide a map and information packet and answer any questions you may have about Whitman.
Woodland Park Zoo partners with West Woodland by providing a variety of programs to support student education. The programs are always changing, and often available during holiday breaks and early release days.
Programs include Parents Night out, Scout Classes, Bug Club, and more!
Read more about each program, timing, availability and pricing
If you are having trouble with any of these things, the How to Get SNEAKS page will help you. It includes details instructions on how to get registered with The Source AND the West Woodland Web site (school fusion), so you can stay up to date!
The second story comes from Ms. Wittmann. When Ms. Fromm’s class was checking out books Owen Sherrell noticed that Mark Frost wanted the same book. Owen decided to go ahead and let Mark check it out. It was a nice thing to do for a fellow classmate. Thanks for caring about someone else’s feelings and being compassionate.
These are the "stories" that are read by 4th/5th grade students over the intercom on Wednesday mornings. This is one of the many ways we work to reinforce our I CARE Values at West Woodland.